Sunday, May 24, 2009

I'm officially a professional!

Before I thought I could call myself a "professional photographer", I figured I'd have to get a few more years of experience doing photo shoots and rack up a whole lot more photography knowledge. In order to give myself the same title as the big wigs in the photography industry who make $20,000 per wedding (crazy, I know!), it just seemed critical to add more experience and more knowledge to the equation. Well, I was wrong.

I shot two weddings with Rodney Cool of Aesthetic Life Studio last weekend. We had a long weekend, but a fun weekend that resulted in over 4,000 pictures! When Rodney handed me a check to pay me for helping him at the weddings, he said, "Now you're a professional photographer!" WHOA! I was kinda blown away when Rodney told me this. As I said before, I thought I had to accomplishment a whole lot more until I could be one of the privileged to call myself a "professional photographer." What a milestone in my photography career! Needless to say, I was flattered and super excited!

Before Rodney, I had never gotten paid for taking pictures or for even helping anyone take pictures. When I would tag along with my mom to her weddings, I might get $20 at the end of the day after carrying her equipment and pushing one button on the camera, once. Jessica Fike, Professional Photographer. Has a nice ring to it, doesn't it?

Yesterday I took on a new photography challenge: shooting action sports! I took pictures at the Gettysburg Youth Soccer Club's Memorial Day Weekend Soccer Tournament. I was assigned to two fields from 8am to about 3pm. I was fortunate enough to borrow the 100-400mm telephoto lens from Liberty which allowed me to get shots from one end of the soccer field to the other. I made commission off of each picture that I sold and left the fields with $50. Parents and players can continue to buy pictures from gysc.smugmug.com over the coming weeks, so there is still opportunity for more commission to be made!

Shooting action sports was definitely a new experience for me and I'd like to try it again sometime soon. Would anyone like pictures of their sons and daughters playing their favorite summertime sports? I would love to help you out! Here's one shot that I particularly enjoyed from yesterday's soccer tournament.


Happy Memorial Day, y'all!

No comments: