Friday, December 4, 2009

Inspired {MD, PA, VA, WV, DC Photographer}

I read blogs on a daily basis. I think it's safe to say that I've got nearly 100 different blog links set up in my list of "Blogs I'm Following" on my Blogger dashboard. If every single one of those blogs had a new post every single day, I'd probably do nothing but read blog posts during my "free" time. Free time, HA! That's another story...

But reading lots of blogs is good. Very good. Since discovering blogs and the art of blogging this past summer, I've been constantly finding myself inspired. Of course the majority of the blogs I follow belong to photographers, some of them nationally and internationally known, so it's easy for me to relate and to leave the posts feeling motivated and "ready to go" as a photographer and business owner. The blogs have offered great business advice, shooting techniques, portrait location ideas, and editing suggestions. They just plain inspire me and I love it. I look forward to my blog reading every day.

One thing that I've been most inspired to do recently is to pay more attention to my own blogging (because there are so many rockin' blogs out there), for both the benefit of myself personally and for the benefit of my photography business. So far in my blogging experience, my posts have typically been about photography - my latest portrait sessions, my first wedding, my new lens - and have been far and few between. I think it's time for something different. I want to start blogging more about life, my personal thoughts, and what inspires me. And I want to blog more often. If I just take five minutes to put a few quick thoughts together with one picture (instead of 25) for a post, even when I am super duper busy, I think it will be good, again for both me and my business. So I think I am considering this new campaign for better blogging practices as an early new year resolution that's affective immediately. No waiting until January 1, 2010. The time starts now.

First minor change to make my blogging practices better and different - use keywords in post titles. This change clearly isn't something huge, but it isn't photography-related and it won't take 25 pictures to express my ideas and thoughts. It will help to better my blog for my business.

Yesterday, I attended a Social Media Workshop at 3rd Idea in Gettysburg, PA. Anne, my boss at Liberty, suggested I attend and see what new things I could find out about Facebook, Twitter, Blogging and the social media that is taking over the world of marketing. Seriously, it's happening. Anyways, while I already know the basic ideas of such social media tools and use them often, I did walk away from the workshops with a few little tid bits that will help with our marketing efforts at Liberty and with my business.

Including keywords in my post titles will help me to be more searchable. In other words, Google will like me even more! If I include "MD, PA, VA, WV, DC Photographer" in my post title (like I have for this post), I will have a good chance at coming up in a Google search for MD, PA, VA, WV, and DC photographers. After learning this at the workshop, I noticed that some photographers due include such labels (of themselves, their business) in their post titles, and I always kinda wondered why. Well now I know, and I'm going to do it, too. So here's to the start of including keywords in my blog post titles! Here here!

And because it's Christmas time and all blog posts shine best with a picture, here's one for ya: Mine and Brian's Christmas tree.



Sorry for the wordy post. I was on a roll.

No comments: