Friday, July 17, 2009

A Real-Life Licensed Battlefield Guide

Have you ever met a real-life Licensed Battlefield Guide in Gettysburg? Have you ever wondered what it takes to become a real-life Licensed Battlefield Guide in Gettysburg? I never did either (to both those questions), until I met Ellen.

Ellen is our Administrative Assistant in the Liberty Mountain Admin. Offices. She brings a new kind of spirit to the offices and always makes us laugh at a few times each day. She does a great job greeting and entertaining guests that visit our Admin. Office Front Desk. She is a great spell checker and puts Word documents and spreadsheets together like no other. She is also a Gettysburg Battle freak!

Every so often, Ellen will sneak around the corner and throw some random Gettysburg Battle fact or story at me. After I found out she would be giving us all a battlefield tour, I knew it was going to be good because she knows so many random facts and stories about the Gettysburg Battle.

Some of us Liberty folk were fortunate enough to have Ellen as our real-life Licensed Battlefield Guide last Friday during our tour of the battlefield. And let me just say, if you've never met a real-life Licensed Battlefield Guide or ever wondered what they go through to become one, just take a tour with them. I promise you'll be impressed and I promise you'll find a newly gained respect for them, and the Gettysburg Battle for which they are so passionate.

Licensed and ready to go!


Here she is, the infamous Ellen! She absolutely demanded attention on that tour bus, even before the tour officially began.


We stopped at a public picnic spot for some lunch before the tour. There's always something to laugh about when Eric, our General Manager, gets to talkin'!


The beautiful and action-packed Lincoln Square in Gettysburg. I would love to do an engagement session here! How cute of a setting would the old buildings and structures make for pictures!?!


There are so many beautiful open fields across the battlefield grounds.


Ellen LOVES cannons, I mean LOOOVVEESS cannons. She gave a great demonstration on how the cannons work. Did you know that it took eight soldiers to operate one cannon? Talk about manpower!


Ellen gave us a complete run down of the battle's first day events.


This is what I want to do! Take a tour of the battlefield on horseback! Brian won't do it. I guess I'll have to go alone. Horses are so pretty!


What a beautiful landscape.


A group shot at the end of the day. What an amazing tour we had thanks to our lovely guide, Ellen!

Anyone that wants to learn a TON about the Gettysburg Battle, let me know, and I'll pass Ellen's information along to you. If you're looking to do a battlefield tour, I highly recommend going with a real-life Licensed Battlefield Guide. They'll rock your world! Actually, maybe they aren't all as awesome as Ellen. She gets so into it and everything about Gettysburg just gets her excited. Yeah, maybe you should just stick to going with her. :)

No comments: