Tuesday, June 2, 2009

AU Reunion

In January of 2007, I moved to Washington, D.C. to attend American University's Washington Semester Program's Foreign Policy Seminar. For four months, I lived in an AU dorm, traveled up and down the streets of D.C. and interned on Capitol Hill in Montana Congressman Denny Rehberg's office. My professor was great. He kept us busy and kept us entertained with field trips to places like the Old Executive Office Building (right next to the White House) and the British Embassy.

D.C. brought me some great experiences and a great professor, but most importantly, it brought me some great friends. My seminar class consisted of about 30 students total from all around the world. I made friends with students from France, Belgium and of course, the United States. I still keep in touch with a handful of the friends with whom I spent endless days in the classroom and endless nights in the city. We've been lucky enough to reunite over the past year and each reunion has been getting better and better!

Some of us AUers met up in Alexandria, VA during Memorial Day Weekend at Chris's place. I got to see Tania, Justin, Chris and John. I hadn't seen John in two years! Unfortunately, our good friend James was not able to join us - he is definitely a regular. Here are some moments from our fabulous reunion:

Tania and Justin - I just had to include this one. Your faces are priceless!

Here's our group. The pretty regular group, minus James. The group that will probably be reuniting more often once John and Justin move to D.C. which should be within the year! Hooollleerr!!


James and Chris are actually coming to visit me this weekend. AU friends twice in the past three weeks - friggin' awesome!

Justin, Tania, John, and Chris - thanks soooo much for such an awesome reunion! I cannot wait until our next gathering.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank YOU, Jessica! I think I can speak for everyone when I say we all had a great time!

Also, wanted to ask you about your strawberry picking pictures: did you use a filter when you took those outdoor shots? There's pretty good contrast between the blue sky, the clouds, and the green at the horizon. Sometimes I have a hard time getting it all to look right.

Jessica Fike said...

Hey Justin! Thanks for being a loyal visitor to my blog and for reuniting with us in D.C. As always, it was a super blast!

I did not use a filter when I took the outdoor shots during strawberry picking. I actually didn't even use my big ol' professional camera - those pictures were taken with my point and shoot! In your camera's menu, there should be some settings you can adjust to increase the contrast and saturation of your pictures. I recently found this feature in my menu options and have played around with it a bit. Try changing those settings first and see what you come up with. If that doesn't work or if you can't find that menu option, let me know!